Friday 3 November 2023

The Scrotum (2019) - Short, but not very sweet

I've seen a lot of horror films where a lot of different types of monsters chase a lot of... well, pretty similar teenagers, but I never thought I'd be watching film about a killer... er, 'male appendage' shall we say (hey, the clue is in the title!).  The closest I guess I've seen was 'The Killer Tongue' back in the nineties.

The title basically tells you everything you need to know about the film, but, if you want any more, a couple who are out camping run into some toxic waste when the man decides to shave 'down below' in the water.  This causes one of the most hard-to-watch scenes any man will ever witness when the guy on screen uses a cut-throat razor to saw off... I'll leave it up to your imagination.

However, it doesn't end there (I wish the film ended there).  Instead, the bl00dy pair of male dangling bits decide to chase and murder everyone they come into contact with.

Most of the hour-long movie is effectively one random stranger wandering through the woods before coming into contact with our titular monster and then coming off second best.  We sometimes get 'point of view' shots from the scrotum's perspective and it's something similar to 'Evil Dead' where you see that thing in the woods constantly chasing Bruce Campbell about the place.  I guess I'll never be able to watch any 'Evil Dead' movie again without wondering whether what Ash sees is actually a disembodied scrotum coming to possess him!

And that's about it.  Some stranger is killed.  Move on to the next until we're finally back with the girl who were met at the beginning of the film.  Yeah, I guess it's a novel premise and - yes - that scene with the cut-throat razor was genuinely horrific, but even for a short film like this I can't really recommend wasting an hour of your life just for one gory scene then a 'rinse and repeat' format which follows until the end.

4/10 You can watch this film while you're doing the ironing (you'll still get the general gist of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment