Friday 7 July 2023

Glen or Glenda (1953) - Scarily relevant

Okay, I'll confess to only watching this because I'm a fan of cheesy B-movies - and, by association, the 'genius' that is Ed Wood and the semi-biographical film starring Johnny Depp - therefore I figured I might as well watched one of Edward J Woodward's first films, 'Glen or Glenda.' Boy, was he a film-maker who was ahead of his time.


It's no secret that Ed Wood enjoyed dressing up in women's clothing.  I guess what you make of that is entirely up to you.  In the film they refer to such people as 'crossdressers' or 'transvestites,' but in today's 2023 'gender-fluid' world, I say again, what you call such a person is up to you.

I'm not making any sort of judgement on Ed Wood, or those who in any way indulge in any aspect of such lifestyle.  I merely drew my interest in this film based on how this - er how do I put this - 'niche' or 'kink' has been around and if you think that gender transformations and hormone therapy is simply something that has come along in the last few years then prepare for the startling realisation that it's been around for a lot longer than you probably presumed (certainly longer than I thought!).

'Glen or Glenda' is hardly a story, yet not is it a documentary - I guess you could call it a 'drama-documentary' as at no point does it pretend like it's some sort of fly-on-the-wall documentary, charting the lives of real people.  It's simply a window into a world that was very much swept under the carpet of what society wanted to admit was happening.

I look at it as an interesting piece that can be considered more than relevant to what's going on today.  Was Ed Wood really some sort of prophet, or just a guy who was lucky?

6/10 Should probably keep you awake if Freddy Krueger was haunting your nights


No comments:

Post a Comment