Tuesday 25 July 2023

Curtains (1983) - Hasn't aged well

I do love me some cheesy old eighties horror films.  I sometimes wonder how many they actually made during that time because, no matter how many I watch, there still seems to be a whole barrel-load that I have yet to indulge in. 'Curtains' is one of the many, but, whereas some are still as enjoyable today as they were back then, there were plenty that fall into that trap of simply being generic at best and forgettable at worst.

I don't know how well 'Curtains' was received back in the day.  I hear it's a classic now, but, having watched it, I can't see why.  It's about an actress who willingly gets herself committed to a mental asylum in order to help her understand an upcoming acting part where this sort of experience will be helpful.  However, she soon realises she's been betrayed by the director who oversaw her being put there in the first place and left to rot.  Luckily, breaking out of such secure facilities appears to be quite straightforward and she soon turns up at his mansion during a weekend where he's invited several other actresses to try out for the same part.

So, does she start killing everyone?  Well... maybe.

The fact that the killer wears a mask does mean that this is technically a 'who done it?' but you'll probably work things out pretty quickly.  There are some genuinely creepy moments (like the mask the killer wears), but there's not much gore if you're looking for that and you won't really get to know too much about the generic characters, so you won't really care that much when they make their final curtain call.

I see this film has a reasonable following and positive reviews.  I guess it just didn't gel with me, but I suppose it's a competent enough slasher flick from the early eighties, I just found it a little too generic to really make a mark on me.

4/10 You can watch this film while you're doing the ironing (you'll still get the general gist of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment