Monday 7 October 2024

The Conference (2023) - Just about memorable

'Severance' is a dark horror-comedy that revolves around a group of employees attending a remote corporate retreat, only to find themselves embroiled in a deadly survival game orchestrated by unknown assailants.  Oh, wait, did I say 'Severance?' I meant 2023's 'The Conference.' It's a VERY easy mistake to make!

'The Convention' does break a few horror conventions here and there and maintains a balance between its gruesome moments and awkward humor.  Plus the performances are solid, particularly from the lead actors, who bring at least a touch of charm to an otherwise derivative script.  But most of the characters fall into that 'horror cliche' trap of being so damn stupid by splitting up at every given opportunity, making them even easier to dispatch by the masked killer.

There are some memorable moments such as the decent kills and practical gore effects, plus it does bring a bit of satire about corporate culture.  However, it's now a few days since I watched the film and I'm already struggling of things to say about it.  That probably sums it up best.  It's not bad.  It's an okay horror film and I didn't hate it, but whereas I can't really remember that much about it, I can remember plenty of great moments from 'Severance' and that was made all the way back in 2006.  

'The Conference' is decent, but not a must-watch.  My advice: watch 'Severance.'

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment